Treat Yourself to Some Time Away and Re-Treat
“Vacation is what you take when you can't take what you've been taking any longer.”
- UnknownGreetings from Hawaii! Seriously, I’m on a retreat in Hawaii.
I watched a webcast the other day about stress and its impact on those living in the United States. I was surprised to hear that stress is the number one factor that contributes to our aging faster than normal.
There was also a question that was presented that still has me thinking. There is a link between stress and vacation levels saying that longer vacations produce less stress in leaders. Do the results mean that those who take longer vacations feel less stressed? Or is it that the less stressed they feel, the more vacation they are able to take? Either way, it’s interesting to think about.
Well, spring is here and I hope you are planning a holiday over the next few months. I use the word holiday because it sounds so European and classic to me. I started to take a look at some of the words associated with vacation and here’s what I found:
- VACATION: 1350-1400, Latin vacation meaning freedom from something. It is a period of suspension of work, study, or other activity, usually used for rest, recreation, or travel; recess or holiday. Freedom or release from duty, business, or activity.
- HOLIDAY: originates before 950 from the Old English word “ haligdaeg” meaning ‘Holy Day’. This was a day fixed by law or custom on which ordinary business is suspended in commemoration of some event or in honor of some person. It has come to mean a period of cessation from work or one of recreation; vacation
- RECREATION: 1350-1400, Middle English recreacioun meaning restoration, recovery re+creation
- VACATE: 1635-45, Latin vacates meaning to be empty. To leave; go away.
- RETREAT: 1880-85 Middle English retret meaning to draw back. A place of refuge, seclusion, or privacy. An asylum, as for the insane. re+treat.
So when you think of your stress level and a way you can decrease it, think of a re-treat and treating yourself again to some time away.
My wish for you over the next several months is when you are on holiday, enjoy your vacation time in one of your favorite recreational areas and vacate your mind of worries.
Retreat to seclusion and privacy…or to an asylum…it’s your choice.
“A vacation should be just long enough that you're boss misses you, and not long enough for him to discover how well he can get along without you.”