7 Tips to Keep You Positive and Excited
“Don’t think to much. You’ll create a problem that wasn’t even there in the first place.” - Unknown
A few weeks ago I wrote about how positivity trumps negativity every time and provides us many health benefits.
Someone asked me how I was able to get positive and excited in my day-to-day activities when I don’t start my day that way, or when something happens to deter me from this path.
Here are 7 tips on how I keep positive even though it’s not always the easiest thing to do.
- Use Affirmations. Affirmations are specific and positive statements that help you overcome your monkey mind which keeps wandering into negative and self-sabotaging thoughts. I understand there is limited research on the effectiveness of affirmations, but they do make me feel more confident when I use them.
- Know your triggers. Know what shuts you down. Know what impacts you emotionally. Know who impacts you negatively. Most importantly, know how to manage yourself when all these things happen. Like a scout, be prepared.
- Find your song. Find a song that just makes you happy and makes you want to dance every time you hear it. Mine is getting dated, but I still love "Uptown Funk” by Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars. I love this video so much, if you challenge me, I will show you I can do all the dance moves.
- Focus on your strengths. When something gets to me and brings me down it is usually something that makes me doubt myself. When this happens, I stop and remind myself of my strengths and remember what I feel like when I’m fully using them.
- Change your geography. Simply get up and move somewhere else. Sometimes I just take a walk around the office, stop to see someone I like, or even head outside for a bit of fresh air. Changing my geography helps me just step away from a challenging situation and enables me to see a different perspective.
- Find something to celebrate. Don’t wait to celebrate until your big goal is achieved. Understand along the way that you are doing incredible work right now and stop and acknowledgement it. Being an entrepreneur, this is hard at times, but I have begun to reward myself for these small achievements that encourage me to keep up my good work.
- Design a relationship with a positivity partner. When I start to feel myself get negative, I call my friend and just say to her, “Tell me three things you love about me.” She does, then I just say “Thank you,” and hang up. I’m there to do the same for her. There is nothing better than to hear someone say something wonderful about you that perhaps you forgot.
“When life shuts a door…open it again. It’s a door. That’s how they work.” -UnknownWhat are some of your tips to keep yourself positive and excited?