Work Life Balance.... Ha! Ha! Ha! NO WAY!
"There's no such thing as work-life balance. There are work-life choices, and you make them, and they have consequences." - Jack Welch
I met with one of my clients for our first meeting where we set expectations of each other. One of the first assignments I give my clients is to write down their top 10 values and rank them according to importance. When I asked this of my client, the first thing she asked is ”Should I write the values for my work life or my personal life?"
- Make proactive, considered choices about what you want to focus on at any one time.
- Stay present and focused on your choices.
- Park the guilt. Guilt wastes energy. You need all your energy to stay focused. Remember, you have a choice.
- Surround yourself at work and at home with people who partner with you on your shared goals. These folks will help you integrate your work and life.
- Find a way to be calm, centered and grounded.
- Celebrate your successes and celebrate what you've learned in your failures.
- Remember the words attributed to Mother Theresa: "May you trust that you are exactly where you are meant to be."
Lead strong!"We (sic) need real moments of solitude and self-reflection to balance out how much of ourselves we give away." - Barbara deAngelis